Intuit has released the QuickBooks 2012 R9 update for the U.S. version of QuickBooks. There are quite a few maintenance adjustments here. Please note that I have not had the opportunity to check or confirm each of the issues listed here. At the time I’m writing this the release is available as a manual update from the Intuit support web site. I would expect this to be released as an automatic update within a week, if all goes well.
I’ve been seeing lots of complaints about the R8 release and crashes. How many of those issues are fixed with R9? I’m starting to see this in my test system, on occasion, but there isn’t a particular thing that I’ve been able to pin down and reproduce. There are many reports from people who say that they have been told by Intuit support that the way to fix these various crashes is to roll back to the R6 or R5 update. There is at least one Support Note that recommends this on the Intuit support site. In the R9 release I’m seeing a few updates that relate to crashes and unrecoverable errors, but I don’t see anything that tells me that there is a big change in the database? So, time will tell, will this release fix all these problems?
- Order Forms (invoices, sales orders, estimates, purchase orders and such): Some customers were reporting that QuickBooks would crash when working with sales forms, and you would get unrecoverable errors. These issues were introduced in the R8 release. They should be fixed. The Intuit support article on this (SLN61527) was recommending that you roll back to R5 or R6 to get around this in R8, before this update.
- Help: Attempting to send Help feedback when the Help servers are unavailable will no longer cause anabnormal program termination.
- Inventory: QuickBooks will no longer restart when rebuilding company files with certain inventory conditions (not sure WHAT conditions?).
- Enhanced Inventory Receiving (EIR): You will no longer see Unrecoverable Error 15032 91866 when enabling Enhanced Inventory Receiving.
- It is no longer possible to edit inventory site information when multi-location inventory is not enabled.
- The assembly serial number dropdown is no longer available when it is not appropriate.
- Multi-user messaging about serial and lot numbers being in use by another user have been updated – does this mean that you won’t see them in inappropriate conditions?
- There should no longer be cases where the Transaction List by Lot Number report is blank when transactions exist for that lot number.
- When you turn off Advanced Inventory, or turn off Serial Number/Lot Tracking, you will still be able to see Location, Serial Number and Lot Number info on existing adjustments.
- The insufficient lot count message will no longer be displayed when editing an assembly build transaction.
Intuit Payment Network:
- IPN links will no longer appear on void invoices or in the print preview mode of pending invoices.
- Duplicate text about IPN will no longer appear in emails that accompany IPN-enabled invoices.
- The address will now be displayed without any blank spaces when an employee does not have a line 2 in the address.
- The city line is no longer repeated twice when printing a paystub.
- The signature settings for printing checks will no longer be lost if a different user logs in, if that user does not use check signatures.
- Correcting the PIN for File and Pay taxes is now case-sensitive. Now you can correct it if you got it wrong.
- The type of markup will no longer default back to “Percent over Cost” when you reopen the Edit Markup window.
- QuickBooks should no longer fail to verify data with an “Overflow” error message. This should be related to the cost/price update data corruption error, but it isn’t clear if there was still a corruption problem (an actual “overflow”) or if it is just an issue with the verify.
Plus Subscription Features: These are found only in the Premier Plus and Pro Plus subscriptions, as well as QuickBooks Accountant for ProAdvisors.
- You can now bounce payment checks that were, at one time, deposited to the Undeposited Funds account.
- The two journal entries made while using the Bounce Check feature to bounce a check, are no longer entered as Billable. They will not show in the time & costs window.
- Customers who originally installed from R3 or a later release will no longer have problems changing to a different edition of Premier or running a repair. The error “1334: The file “QBW32EnterpriseAccountant.exe” cannot be installed” should no longer display.
- The one click upgrade from older versions of QuickBooks to QuickBooks 2012 will no longer encounter an MSXML error.
- Credit card numbers entered when creating new customers are now recognized as a valid card number.
- If you create a new item in the item list and add “notes”, the notes are saved and a blank item is not created. See my article on this problem: QuickBooks 2012 Inventory Notes and Item List Problems).
- With Multi-Currency, the Cost Change Alert will now display the correct currency symbol.
- Accounts Payable: When selecting bills to pay, clicking the check box will not make the line jump to the beginning of the list.
- Condense Data: Company files larger than 2 GB can now be condensed successfully.
- User Interface: Long items will no longer be cut off in the Company Snapshot screen.
- PDF: This release resolved an issue where a Company name change is not reflected in the Send Invoice view.
- Preferences: You will no longer be prompted to save your changes when switching to another screen unless you have made changes in the preferences screen you are looking at.
- QuickBooks Merchant Services: You no longer need to be an admin to process credit card payments using QuickBooks Merchant Services.
- Inventory: The inventory Clean up QuickView window has been updated to show both positive and negative quantity items.
- Enhanced Inventory Receiving (EIR): Some company files cannot be converted to use EIR, for a variety of (unexplained) reasons. With this release, the conversion is more likely to succeed.
- Banking: Reconciled payments that are upgraded from earlier versions of QuickBooks no longer will show the bounced check stamp.
- QuickBooks Online Banking: Many instances of the OL-392 online banking error have been fixed.