QuickBooks 2011 R8 Has Problems

August 8, 2011 | By | 23 Replies More

It has only been out for a few weeks, but it looks like the QuickBooks 2011 R8 update has problems. As it stands now, Intuit has removed this from automatic update status. There is a notice on the update web site that says that they are working on the issues. R8 was a quick release that fixed a big problem in the R7 update, but I can’t tell if these issues came from R7 or R8 itself.

Some of the problems include:

• Error 1603 while installing the update: Resolution is to uninstall QuickBooks, run a utility to clean out the installation folders, and run a fixing tool (http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN53364). This is not guaranteed to work.
  • QuickBooks won’t open or will stop working: A temporary fix is to rename your QBWUser.INI file, which will reset some of your most recent settings (not preferences). Not a big problem but annoying. What is more annoying is that it only works temporarily, and might not work at all. http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN53361
  • Item List QuickReports are incorrect, showing the wrong quantities. You won’t see this in all cases, it will happen if you are using different units of measure for items purchased than for items sold. This shouldn’t be a data corruption, just a reporting error (but I can’t attest to that myself), and to get around it you can run reports without a beginning date range. http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN41910
  • Rebuilds of data files will stop in mid-rebuild. Intuit says there is nothing wrong with the company file, but again I can’t attest to this myself. To get around this you must turn off verification on rebuilds. This is a big issue, because verification is needed to fix many issues.

So, if you don’t have R8, do not install that manual update. If you do have it, cross your fingers (I haven’t run into any of these issues in my own files so far, so it isn’t universal). I assume we’ll see an R9 update in the near future, but we’ll have to be cautious about that one too I guess.

My thanks to Jim Ernest (Rustler) who mentioned the QuickReport issue to me a few days ago (and I didn’t follow up on that, sorry Rustler), and to Bill Murphy who pointed out some of these issues in another forum, and to the multiple people who called or wrote to me about this over the past few days while I was out in the High Sierra’s communing with nature and ignoring emails…

Update: Intuit has released QB 2011 R9, which addresses these concerns. See the article at http://www.sleeter.com/blog/2011/11/quickbooks-2011-r9-released/

Tags: , , ,

Category: QuickBooks Tips/Tricks, Software Updates

Charlie Russell is the founder of CCRSoftware. He's been involved with the small business software industry since the mid 70's, and remembers releasing his first commercial accounting software product when you had a one-floppy disk drive system, loading the program from one floppy and then replacing that with the other floppy to hold the data. He has a special interest in inventory and manufacturing software for small businesses. Charlie is a Certified Advanced QuickBooks ProAdvisor with additional certifications for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise. He also is a Xero Certified Partner. Visit his CCRSoftware web site for information about his QuickBooks add-on products. Charlie can be reached at [email protected] He is also the author of the California Wildflower Hikes blog Connect with Charlie at Google

1. Thank you, Charlie. I was having the issue you described above with an Item List QuickReport and can verify that changing the start date did fix the problem for me.

2. Nancy Smyth says:

Thanks Charlie, this is alarming news.

3. Karen Cook says:

Thanks, Charlie. Unfortunately I have already installed this update on several client machines.
    Are you aware of any issue with QB Pro 2011, running R8, and the inability to print to pdf? Client upgraded from 2008 and now cannot email invoices or statements, or save or print to pdf. We have repeatedly gone through all the Intuit support steps and cannot resolve this issue. We have also uninstalled QB and reinstalled after the Repair option said files were missing, all with no resolution. (Sorry I don’t remember which files were missing)
    The client is now printing to Cutepdf and manually attaching invoices pdf’s to emails. A real Pain!!

• Corey says:

Try changing the Intuit & QuickBooks Converter & Printer drivers from the latest Amyuni version to an older version. This has helped me several times in the past.

This is in Devices and Printers (Windows 7) or Printers and Faxes (Windows XP)

• Scott Bonacker says:

Karen, My workaround is to use the Lacerte PDF printer for printing from QuickBooks if Adobe PDF printer doesn’t work. I’m not sure though if that is available for separate installation if you are not a Lacerte user though.

• Scott, using another PDF driver only partially solves things, and that isn’t a final solution. You can also get the free “Cute PDF” driver. This works for saving as a PDF, but misses two things. First, bank reconciliations won’t use that outside driver, so you can’t complete the reconciliations if the PDF driver fails (reconciliation reports are saved internally as a PDF). Second, if you want to email invoices or reports, the external drivers won’t work with the EASY way to email – where QB creates the PDF and attaches it, then sets up the email message. You have to print your document yourself and then create the email and attach it – a workaround, but a lot more steps. So the best solution is to get the internal driver working.

4. Karen, I haven’t heard of any R8 specific issue with this, and I haven’t had my hands on a system that shows this kind of problem with QB 2011 in general. So I don’t have a definitive answer for you at this time. Sorry!

5. Thanks Charlie. I have seen the rebuild problem live and in person. Not good.

• William Murphy says:

Lynda – don’t worry, your data really isn’t (or shouldn’t be) corrupted because of the release, this is another issue similar to the one in the 2011 R4 release (late last fall). Certain changes in the file are not being correctly identified by the ‘data verification’ routine (the 2nd stage) of the full verify procedure. The Quicker Verify option, which is just the verify 1st stage (aka: “validation” which is essentially “checksum” routine) should work for back-ups; of course the ‘verify utility’ will NOT work either since the full ‘verify procedure (1st and 2nd stage) can not be isolated and the utility calls a fault before completion.

Because the rebuild utility also includes the data verification routine, the rebuild ends with the same fault as does the ‘verify’ utility and an internal back-up with ‘complete verify’.

Let us all hope that this situation will be resolved quickly for those who have already installed R-8, because this error precludes the ability to uses these vital utilities in the case of ‘real’ corruption issues.

William “Bill” Murphy – Oklahoma City

6. William Murphy says:

Sorry Charlie – I have just been so busy rebuilding a file that I forgot to slip you a line (email) late last week about these issues so you could get them researched and published in your blog. Still the same thanks for the ‘mention’ relative to the two forum posts I did on these errors this past weekend.

7. Diane Offutt says:

Thanks Charlie. Unfortunately I already installed the R8 update. I will see if I run across any problems. If so I will let you know.

Diane Offutt, EA, MAcc
    Accounting Connections, LLC
    Woodstock, GA 30189

8. I am having lockups when using Save while having a PO open. Not save and close though.

9. Lisa Biehl says:

Is this why I am having problems importing changes from the Accountant’s Copy? Would this process be considered rebuilding the company file? I have done this easily before, but it was before this update. I am thinking about uninstalling QuickBooks and reinstalling it without this update to see if it will work.

• Lisa, I haven’t heard anything about R8 specifically in relation to the Accountant’s Copy – and the “rebuild” issue you are referring to doesn’t have anything to do with the Accountant’s Copy. But I can’t say that R8 does NOT have an issue there. Just that I haven’t heard of one.

10. Kathy Reid says:

I have been having problems with clients not being able to import Accountant changes since I installed the R8 update.

I will try to uninstall and reinstall 2011. Hopefully, this will correct the problem.

11. Becca says:

Hi Charlie –
    I installed the update, and now I have two problems. One is that QB ‘hangs’ open. What I mean is, that when I go to shut the computer off, I frequently (but not always) have to force a shutdown of QB, long after QB program has apparently been closed.
    Another problem, and one that is far more serious to me, is that when I imported cc charges and cotinued on to reconcile that account, the previous reconciliation was completely different. I pulled the paper copy of the report and it was nothing like the one that was presented to me – including the check used to pay for the billing last month – it was suddenly reported as a different amount in Bill Pay and Check Register as well. I am stumped about how to repair that. I have since (rather boldly, I know) reconciled two bank accounts and they came out fine. Can you offer any advice for me on this? (QB Pro 2011, Windows 7, 64 bit) Thank you so much!
    ~Becca

12. Becca, I’m sorry, I don’t have any guidance for you on that one. I’ve not run into the problem, and I would have to have my hands on the file to be able to look into things.

I have not SEEN a report that says that this is an issue in R8. I’m seeing a lot of complaints about different issues, and R8 is often quoted as being the culprit, but I have a feeling that some of these problems aren’t directly related to R8. They may have happened anyways…

13. JERRY says:

I’ve postponed installing R8 based on the above. Any idea when it will be safe to do so?

• Jerry, I don’t know what to say. I’ve not had any problems with R8 from the beginning. Lots of people have complaints about it, but some complaints probably aren’t really R8 issues – just QB problems in systems that happen to be R8.

Earlier in the month Intuit’s support web site recommended holding off on installing. I noticed today that the message there has changed – it says go ahead, but if you have problems then look at their list of fixes or “search our site for answers” (that is an odd way to say things…).

Several higher level Intuit people I’ve heard from weren’t even aware that there was a problem here.

So I don’t know what to recommend. And I don’t have any idea if or when an R9 update might be available.