Intuit has just released the QuickBooks 2010 R12 update for the U.S. versions of QuickBooks. Here is an overview of what the update contains.
I ran into one thing that I’ve not seen in other recent updates. My security program (Norton, in this case) didn’t like a portion of the update and quarantined it. Not due to a virus, just because it didn’t like running a portion of the update. I had to unlock it. Normally the manual patches aren’t flagged by Norton in this way, on my system.
In addition, when I opened my company file after the update I was told that the file had to be updated. I always get nervous when that happens and I don’t expect it. I don’t see anything in the list of updates that would indicate that a file update is needed, so I’m curious as to what else is going on.
- Form Templates : Importing and customizing sales form templates will no longer cause the unrecoverable error 14867 99905
- File Versions: Holding the mouse cursor over a .QBM file now correctly shows the QuickBooks version of the portable company file.
- Intuit Payment Network (IPN): Several fixes here. Payment links on emailed and printed forms will now display correctly. Invoices created from estimates will now show the box to allow online payment if the Intuit Payment Network preference is enabled. IPN will now retain preferences when restoring a Portable Company file.
- Payroll: There are improvements in compatibility with 64-bit Microsoft Excel 64-bit when using either the Payroll Reports in Excel or Summarize Payroll Data in Excel feature. I’m not sure if this is fully fixed, since they use the word “Improvements”.
- Product Updates: 1328 errors should occur less often when updating from R9 or R10. These are installer errors that don’t always show up.
- QuickBooks Merchant Services: QuickBooks should no longer close with an unexpected or unrecoverable error when accessing the Record Merchant Service Deposits and Fees window.
Updated or New Features
- Built in Password Reset: Up until this release, if you lost your password and didn’t know your “challenge” question, you had to download a password reset tool. With this release, the password unlocking tool is integrated into QuickBooks. If you don’t know your password and challenge answer, you will be asked for this information:
- QuickBooks Automatic Data Recovery: QuickBooks Pro, Pro Plus, Premier and Premier Plus now automatically create a copy of the data file. This can be used to do automatic data recovery should the file become damaged. Note that this does NOT show up in QuickBooks Enterprise, or QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition. I’ve not been able to test this as I have the Accountant Edition.
- Payroll: Intuit PayCards are now supported as a form of Direct Deposit.
You can get this update from the QuickBooks support site now. It should be available via the automatic update process near April 26th.