Intuit has released the QuickBooks 2011 R6 update to manual update today for the US/Windows versions of QuickBooks. Here is an overview of what it contains.
This is my early read on the update – note that sometimes Intuit releases additional information after we see the very first release, so there could be some changes in addition to what is listed here (and they may list some additional items). Also note that I can’t always test every change.
You can get this update from this link: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/Support/ProductUpdates.aspx
This should be available via the automatic update process on March 22.
This article was updated to add more information, shortly after the initial release.
First, a Word About Product Versions
With this round of updates, things are going to start to get a bit more confusing.
Most people understand that the various QuickBooks products have different features. Enterprise has more features than Premier, Premier has more features than Pro. With the 2011 R6 update we are going to see even further divisions of features – Premier Accountant Edition differing from other editions of Premier, Premier Accountant Edition for ProAdvisors differing from Premier Accountant Edition for end users, and the QuickBooks Plus editions having features that non-subscription users won’t have.
I’ve discussed the QuickBooks Plus subscription program in the past, and how this affects ProAdvisors. This is a subscription version of the desktop program, as opposed to an outright purchase of the program. Plus subscribers are going to have features that non-subscribers won’t have until the next yearly release. And, remember, ProAdvisors are enrolled in this program automatically.
For ProAdvisors this means that YOUR desktop product is going to have features that many of your CLIENTS will not have, and I’m worried that this is going to cause some confusion.
So, when I list added features in this release, pay attention to which are in the standard release and which are in the Plus release.
- The Print Checks window should now correctly show payroll checks in the print queue. I believe, but I’m not sure, that this is the Select Checks to Print window for batch printing.
- In some cases you would get multiple duplicate lines on Sales Order reports when Printing, Previewing or sending them to Excel. Should be fixed.
- If you would generate an invoice from an estimate or sales order you should now get the “You don’t have enough quantity to sell” message when appropriate.
- There have been multiple reports of errors when importing and customizing sales form templates. You might see unrecoverable error 14867 99905. This should be fixed – I’m not sure if this corrects ALL of the issues with importing templates.
- When you combine multiple Profit and Loss reports (in Enterprise), inactive accounts will no longer appear in the report.
- Sync Manager had problems working with files that had special characters in the file name. This is fixed.
- If you are using the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries feature to add thousands of items, there have been some changes to improve performance.
- The Intuit Data Protect system tray icon will no longer load for users without a subscription. This has been something that I’ve seen a lot of complaints about recently. There are a number of maintenance fixes for Intuit Data Protect as well.
- There are a few changes in File Manager. You should no longer see the “Files Assignment May Change” dialog when you remove your client list and then update it
Features listed here should be found in all versions of QuickBooks 2011 (US) unless I specify otherwise. .
The transaction journal report now displays the Debit and Credit columns automatically in more cases.
(Enterprise) If you are using the Advanced Inventory feature for Enterprise, and the Custom Reporting ODBC driver, you should find that you now have access to more information. Tables for this information have been added and updated.
Support Enhancements: Intuit support agents have some options that allow them to see data about your company file, the operating system, and other key info that would help them provide support. At this time I don’t have any details on this, I assume it is an optional feature if you are working directly with Intuit support.
Built-in Password Reset: A password reset feature is built into the program – again, I have not tested this yet.
Automatic Data Recovery: This is not available in QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition or Enterprise at this time – expect to see it in the future (if it works well). There is a feature that will automatically create a copy of your data file. I don’t have details of how to set this up or when it would occur.
Updates in Plus Only
As I discussed above, these features are found only in the Plus subscription editions as well as the ProAdvisor version of Premier Accountant Edition
Transactions on History Pane: The History Pane, which shows (optionally) to the right of some transactions, has been expanded. There are two tabs now, one for the main list item (customer, vendor etc.) and one for the transaction. The Transaction pane will have information such as who created the transaction, when it was last edited (and who did the editing), related transactions, and information on when it was emailed.
Improved Memorized Transactions: Several improvements here. The schedule memorized transaction window has been modified a bit, to change the wording.
Here is the old window.
Here is the new window.
More interesting is the change for memorized transactions that are due to be entered. In prior versions you would get a small window that would just say that there are memorized transactions due to be entered, with minimal information. In the new version you will see a list of the transactions, which I believe will be a great help. It improves the visibility of the transactions that will be entered.
Batch Invoice for Time and Expenses: A work flow improvement if you are invoicing multiple customers for billable time and expenses. Before, you could only create a single invoice at a time. Now you have the ability to view billable transactions for multiple customers all in one screen. Note that this won’t be found in the Pro Plus subscription.
Integrated Help: A search box and button have been added to the QuickBooks menu bar to allow quick access to online help. There are also improvements on the search feature to let you access online support web site.
Should You Update?
That is always the tough question. My usual recommendation is that you wait until this comes out in automatic update – let OTHER people find the problems that we sometimes see when people start installing the manual updates.
Note that you should MAKE A BACKUP of your company file BEFORE you install this update – the program does some form of file conversion – not sure what exactly is being changed. I have not tested to see if this revised file can be opened with prior versions.
Keep in mind that Plus subscribers (and ProAdvisors) will get this during the automatic update phase – you cannot turn automatic updates off. I have some real concerns about that.
I’ve been running this version for a few weeks and haven’t noticed any problems – but I have not exercised it heavily. Also, by the time we get to the R6 level, I usually have a higher level of confidence that the releases aren’t going to cause problems. So, if the features are important to you, give it a try.