QuickBooks 2011 R6

March 17, 2011 | By | 29 Replies More

Intuit has released the QuickBooks 2011 R6 update to manual update today for the US/Windows versions of QuickBooks. Here is an overview of what it contains.

This is my early read on the update – note that sometimes Intuit releases additional information after we see the very first release, so there could be some changes in addition to what is listed here (and they may list some additional items). Also note that I can’t always test every change.

You can get this update from this link: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/Support/ProductUpdates.aspx

This should be available via the automatic update process on March 22.

This article was updated to add more information, shortly after the initial release.

First, a Word About Product Versions

With this round of updates, things are going to start to get a bit more confusing.

Most people understand that the various QuickBooks products have different features. Enterprise has more features than Premier, Premier has more features than Pro. With the 2011 R6 update we are going to see even further divisions of features – Premier Accountant Edition differing from other editions of Premier, Premier Accountant Edition for ProAdvisors differing from Premier Accountant Edition for end users, and the QuickBooks Plus editions having features that non-subscription users won’t have.

I’ve discussed the QuickBooks Plus subscription program in the past, and how this affects ProAdvisors. This is a subscription version of the desktop program, as opposed to an outright purchase of the program. Plus subscribers are going to have features that non-subscribers won’t have until the next yearly release. And, remember, ProAdvisors are enrolled in this program automatically.

For ProAdvisors this means that YOUR desktop product is going to have features that many of your CLIENTS will not have, and I’m worried that this is going to cause some confusion.

So, when I list added features in this release, pay attention to which are in the standard release and which are in the Plus release.

Bug Fixes

• The Print Checks window should now correctly show payroll checks in the print queue. I believe, but I’m not sure, that this is the Select Checks to Print window for batch printing.
  • In some cases you would get multiple duplicate lines on Sales Order reports when Printing, Previewing or sending them to Excel. Should be fixed.
  • If you would generate an invoice from an estimate or sales order you should now get the “You don’t have enough quantity to sell” message when appropriate.
  • There have been multiple reports of errors when importing and customizing sales form templates. You might see unrecoverable error 14867 99905. This should be fixed – I’m not sure if this corrects ALL of the issues with importing templates.
  • When you combine multiple Profit and Loss reports (in Enterprise), inactive accounts will no longer appear in the report.
  • Sync Manager had problems working with files that had special characters in the file name. This is fixed.
  • If you are using the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries feature to add thousands of items, there have been some changes to improve performance.
  • The Intuit Data Protect system tray icon will no longer load for users without a subscription. This has been something that I’ve seen a lot of complaints about recently. There are a number of maintenance fixes for Intuit Data Protect as well.
  • There are a few changes in File Manager. You should no longer see the “Files Assignment May Change” dialog when you remove your client list and then update it

Updates

Features listed here should be found in all versions of QuickBooks 2011 (US) unless I specify otherwise. .

The transaction journal report now displays the Debit and Credit columns automatically in more cases.

(Enterprise) If you are using the Advanced Inventory feature for Enterprise, and the Custom Reporting ODBC driver, you should find that you now have access to more information. Tables for this information have been added and updated.

Support Enhancements: Intuit support agents have some options that allow them to see data about your company file, the operating system, and other key info that would help them provide support. At this time I don’t have any details on this, I assume it is an optional feature if you are working directly with Intuit support.

Built-in Password Reset: A password reset feature is built into the program – again, I have not tested this yet.

Automatic Data Recovery: This is not available in QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition or Enterprise at this time – expect to see it in the future (if it works well). There is a feature that will automatically create a copy of your data file. I don’t have details of how to set this up or when it would occur.

Updates in Plus Only

As I discussed above, these features are found only in the Plus subscription editions as well as the ProAdvisor version of Premier Accountant Edition

Transactions on History Pane: The History Pane, which shows (optionally) to the right of some transactions, has been expanded. There are two tabs now, one for the main list item (customer, vendor etc.) and one for the transaction. The Transaction pane will have information such as who created the transaction, when it was last edited (and who did the editing), related transactions, and information on when it was emailed.

image

Improved Memorized Transactions: Several improvements here. The schedule memorized transaction window has been modified a bit, to change the wording.

Here is the old window.

SNAGHTML4ffdd77e

Here is the new window.

image

More interesting is the change for memorized transactions that are due to be entered. In prior versions you would get a small window that would just say that there are memorized transactions due to be entered, with minimal information. In the new version you will see a list of the transactions, which I believe will be a great help. It improves the visibility of the transactions that will be entered.

image

Batch Invoice for Time and Expenses: A work flow improvement if you are invoicing multiple customers for billable time and expenses. Before, you could only create a single invoice at a time. Now you have the ability to view billable transactions for multiple customers all in one screen. Note that this won’t be found in the Pro Plus subscription.

image

Integrated Help: A search box and button have been added to the QuickBooks menu bar to allow quick access to online help. There are also improvements on the search feature to let you access online support web site.

Should You Update?

That is always the tough question. My usual recommendation is that you wait until this comes out in automatic update – let OTHER people find the problems that we sometimes see when people start installing the manual updates.

Note that you should MAKE A BACKUP of your company file BEFORE you install this update – the program does some form of file conversion – not sure what exactly is being changed. I have not tested to see if this revised file can be opened with prior versions.

Keep in mind that Plus subscribers (and ProAdvisors) will get this during the automatic update phase – you cannot turn automatic updates off. I have some real concerns about that.

I’ve been running this version for a few weeks and haven’t noticed any problems – but I have not exercised it heavily. Also, by the time we get to the R6 level, I usually have a higher level of confidence that the releases aren’t going to cause problems. So, if the features are important to you, give it a try.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Software Updates

Charlie Russell is the founder of CCRSoftware. He's been involved with the small business software industry since the mid 70's, and remembers releasing his first commercial accounting software product when you had a one-floppy disk drive system, loading the program from one floppy and then replacing that with the other floppy to hold the data. He has a special interest in inventory and manufacturing software for small businesses. Charlie is a Certified Advanced QuickBooks ProAdvisor with additional certifications for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Enterprise. He also is a Xero Certified Partner. Visit his CCRSoftware web site for information about his QuickBooks add-on products. Charlie can be reached at [email protected] He is also the author of the California Wildflower Hikes blog Connect with Charlie at Google

1. The R5 update took away the ability to write letters to a Word template, from Quickbooks. When I called support, they had me rollback to the R4P update, saying, this feature was a known bug and would be fixed in the near future. I wonder if this R6 update fixes that problem.

2. Joslyn, I can’t say that I had seen the R5 issue you refer to or not. And, I don’t now what operating system or version of Office you are using.

On my test system, with Enterprise 11 and R6, 32 bit Windows 7, and 32 bit Office 2010, I was able to generate a Word Letter from the invoice screen.

That doesn’t mean that you can, but in this one test situation I could.

• Hello Charlie, I’m a little in the dark ages, Windows XP Pro, Enterprise 11, Office 2003.
      I am happy to hear you were able to get it to work. Perhaps I will chance an upgrade to R6.
      Thank you for your blog. It has helped all of us in the office tremendously.

3. And a note to everyone – I’m still seeing problems getting Loan Manager to work with Enterprise 2011 R6 with Internet Explorer 9 installed.

4. Charlie,

As always thank you for you thoroughness. I often find that I don’t have to look anything up, I can just scan your blogs to get the real scoop.

Are many folks using the QuickBooks Plus option yet? I have not ran across many.

• Than you, Jim. I don’t have any information whatsoever on the number of people using the Plus option. Note that a Plus subscription includes a tech support contract, so those users would be less likely to call a ProAdvisor for support.

5. MB Raimondi says:

Charlie
    If someone purchases QB11ES today – will they get the improvements in memorized transactions and batch invoicing for time & expenses? I would guess yes – because they get the Full Service Plan.
    How about QB Premier purchased today without the Plus subscription?

Thanks. You do great work!
    MB

• MB: If you BUY Enterprise – are you getting it on a CD, or a download? CD’s probably have the older revision of Enterprise. For downloads, I haven’t checked to see if they have upgraded the download installer to have R6 yet or not – that usually happens a bit later than the initial “Manual Release”. Regardless of how you get Enterprise, though, you can choose to do a manual update to get new features.

NORMALLY, Enterprise on a full service plan would be considered to be the same as a “Plus” subscription. However, for some reason, with the R6 release the new features (memorized transactions, history pane improvement, integrated help, batch invoice for time/expenses, auto data recovery) are NOT included in Enterprise. I’m a bit surprised at that, I thought that Enterprise would get what you get in Pro+ and Premier+. But, not this time. I’ve not heard why.

If you buy Premier today without a subscription, you can manually update to R6, but you won’t get the features that were marked as “Plus” features. It is confusing. The ProAdvisor note that went out had a chart that helped a bit, although it isn’t complete.

6. Ron Acher says:

Charlie:

Regarding your comment that “you cannot turn automatic updates off” if you are a Plus Subscriber (or a ProAdviser): is there not a Windows Service for QB automatic updates that can be disabled — along the lines of turning off Intuit Data Protect and several other Intuit automatic features one might deem unnecesaary, as we discussed in your previous post on “Stopping QuickBooks Automatic Updates from Installing”?

Regards,

— Ron

• Ron, most likely you can turn off the service. I generally don’t like to give out that kind of recommendation, as I don’t like to muck around in people’s systems (at least not anonymously, without actually having hands on your system). There is a service that you can disable, but I have not played with that so I don’t know if there are any side effects from that. Also, some people just aren’t capable or comfortable with doing that kind of thing, so it isn’t a general answer for everyone.

Note also that Intuit will push out “off cycle updates” that we are NOT notified about, usually to fix minor things. If you disable the update service you are updating those as well. I have mixed feelings about that issue – I don’t like updates that I’m not in control of, BUT they are usually things that you really want. It gets complicated…

• Ron Acher says:

Thank you, Charlie. I’m glad to hear that in all probability you CAN turn off Automatiuc Updates even if you are a Plus subscriber, even involuntarily because you are a ProAdviser. Agreed, caution and testing for side effects is required. Please let us know what you find if you go any further down this road, as will I.

For those of us for whom multiple different versions of QuickBooks are our professional tools, it seems to me we need a stable platform we understand, not one that changes under our feet unexpectedly at the whim of the manufacturer, who may have an agenda different from ours.

At least we should be in control of the changes, and make them only when we understand them and are ready to deal with any consequences.

Regards,

— Ron

• Ron – what I said was pure speculation – I don’t know if you can easily turn that service off or not. QuickBooks does have a tendency to try to repair itself in some situations.

You should be able to control automatic updates even if you can’t turn them off – you will get that message that says there is an update to install, and you can just say “no” each time. But that isn’t a good control.

You can also try the steps in my article at http://www.sleeter.com/blog/2011/02/stopping-quickbooks-automatic-updates-from-installing/ – not sure how well that would work in this case.

And, there are always the “off cycle” minor updates, that we don’t get a notice about.

I’m not advocating any of these approaches to turn things off, as I don’t know the full implications. But, like you, I prefer to have some form of control over this.

7. Cliff says:

With so many needed improvements to QB functionality, R6 was very very discouraging. I don’t see anything in R6 of much value for our company, which is using Enterprise. There are so many requests for improvements that are being ignored by Quickbooks, as evidenced by the Customer Feedback page.

I have also made numerous suggestions for change, as either bug fixes or functionality changes. I am new to Quickbooks, but I am starting to become disenchanted with Intuit’s ability/desire to really improve Quickbooks.

8. Nancy Smyth says:

Charlie
    You are correct Product versions are confusing and right now I’m confused myself.

I haven’t downloaded the manual update from the Intuit support page, but I have been working with the R6 (beta) version for a few weeks also and I’m pretty sure my Premier Accountant version (from my ProAdvisor membership) is the Plus version (my automatic update option for No is greyed out).

I agree with you that the Product Information window should indicate if the version of QB is a plus version or not – having to assume based on a feature or the lack of the ability to turn off a feature like Automatic Updates is a pretty, well lame way of trying to determine what product/version you are using.

• Nancy: First, I’ll note that I have seen a few differences between the R6 beta and the R6 public release, so you can’t really compare them to a detail level. Second, I agree that there needs to be a better way to tell the difference with Plus and others. I made that suggestion to the person in charge of that program last summer when I was first told about this, and they said that they would consider it. There is a way, but I don’t have all of the information so I can’t use it with complete accuracy. If you look at the “product number” in the product information window, you will see differences. Your Premier Accountant for a ProAdvisor will have 025-779 probably. A Premier version (not Accountant) might have 414-718. A Premier Plus version (not accountant) would probably have 821-437. The SKU (product number) varies between the Plus and non-Plus versions. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I have the entire picture. There may be different SKU’s for single user and multi user, or other variations. Since I don’t sell all fo the products myself, I haven’t been able to check the details. I was talking to Ruth Perryman about SKU’s in Enterprise, and she had a bunch of SKU’s that were different than the ones the I had seen. So, if you could figure out the SKU’s, you could determine what they have.

9. Nancy Smyth says:

Charlie, thanks for your detailed response. I’ll download R6 manually and see if I see anything different.

I guess until Intuit does something to distinguish one version from another we’ll all need to become private detectives – of one sort or another.

I think that these “spin-offs” are going to become a support nightmare.

10. Kathy Ivens says:

Charlie,

Thanks for your (as always) thorough research and analysis. I’m guessing that R6 didn’t fix the default setting for adding a URL for online payments to every invoice and users will still have to change the Preferences and go back and deselect the option on previously saved invoices they may re-print.

• Kathy, there wasn’t any mention of that explicitly, and I’ve not investigated that specifically. But I do know that there are changes that were made that weren’t announced. I guess I should start building a list of bugs/complaints to test a new release against them, but that is a bit complicated (and there are so many to test!).

• Cliff says:

Today we upgraded to R6, for Enterprise, and experienced a bug.

The Set Closing Date does not stop transactions from posting to prior periods.

We have a 2/28/2011 Closing Date, but were able to change a January customer payment, with no warning or password required.

I didn’t know this was a bug in R6 until I called Intuit Customer Support today, and they said they were aware of the bug.

At this time there is no work-around, or fix.

This is a very serious bug.

Hopefully Intuit fixes this quickly.

• Cliff, I don’t see any difference here from before. I went into Enterprise 11 R6, and set a closing date with password. I can no longer change transactions before that date without entering the password. If I enter the closing date without a password then I can edit the transaction before the closing date.

I ran a copy of Enterprise 10 and it works exactly the same way.

Do you have a password on the closing date?

• Cliff says:

Charlie, I do have a password with a 2/28 closing date. We were able to change, and save, a January customer payment without any request for password. We were in the Customer Payment screen.
            We have a customer overpayment in January which we were trying to figure out how to transfer to an accrued liability account. We accidently changed the amount to zero. When we clicked on Save and Close the transaction processed and the January payment was zero, general ledger changed, and A/R was zero.

However, after reading your post, I tried to create a February invoice and I did get a prompt for a password.

So it appears the password/closing date bug is only effecting certain areas of Quickbooks.

• Cliff, something else must be going on here, as I can’t duplicate that. I went to a Customer Payment screen, found a payment made several months before my closing date, changed the payment method, saved it, and was prompted for the password. So, it is one of those things that isn’t simple, there are other variables involved here that we can’t see easily.

11. Cliff says:

Charlie, after your last post I called Intuit Tech Support a second time to ask more questions. The second Tech support person didn’t know about any prior period posting bug in R6. She saw/read my case notes from the first Tech I talked to, but everyone had left for the day and she couldn’t reach any Level 2 folks to confirm the bug. She said she would call me back tomorrow morning.
    She did remote into my machine and I showed her how I could change the January cash receipt amount without any warning, or password request.
    We tried a few changes/settings, but nothing changed the behavior.
    Hopefully I’ll have better info tomorrow.

• Cliff says:

As of today, it does not appear my problem is related to R6.

I spent about an hour with a very experienced Intuit Tech support person, and he said their is no known bug with R6 effecting prior period postings. The first Intuit Tech Support person I talked to was misinformed.

Today’s tech support person remoted in to my computer and duplicated the problem. He also duplicated the problem with an Intuit Sample company, which made the problem even more complicated/mysterious. The problem is also not unique to my workstation, because it occurs on another employee’s workstation. This rules out a corrupted/bad installation on my computer.

He is going to call me back on Monday when I have more time to let him try some more testing on my machine. I think he may try to reinstall Enterprise on our Server, by downloading the program from Intuit. We installed from a CD, and he thinks maybe the CD install could be corrupted. Sounds kind of strange to me, and somewhat of a long shot.

12. michelleb says:

Hi – I’m new to QB and the company I just joined is moving from QB Premiere Professional Edition 2008 to Enterprise V11.
    they use a bunch of memorized transactions…..my two questions are:
    1) Are there issues upgrading from premiere prof. to Enterprise V11?
    2) How do I learn more about the issues with memorized transactions? Our year end is June 30th and I don’t want to mess anything up
    Thanks

13. Michelleb: That is a bit off topic for this blog article, and blog comments aren’t a great way to answer questions in detail.

As for “issues” – on one hand, you should be able to make that transition relatively easily, assuming that your file is in good shape to start with. Sometimes people run into some glitches, though – so install the Enterprise system without uninstalling Premier, make backups, and test your installation/conversion before you jump in whole-hog. You may want to get someone to help you through the steps (click the “find a consultant” link near the top of this page).

What “issues” with memorized transactions? They SHOULD convert OK, if that is what you mean, but again you need to do the transition in an orderly fashion. Memorized transactions can sometimes get corrupted for no apparent reason, and not just in upgrades, just on a monthly basis.

14. Karla Gratehouse says:

We are on QuickBooks Pro 2011. We have a 3 user license, however one of the users is unable to update past R5??? This is very frustrating! Now another update has been implemented, and still this machine is behind. Please HELP!!!???

• Karla, you don’t mention if you are getting error messages, or what, so I can’t comment about your specific situation in detail.

Have you tried downloading the manual update from the Intuit support site? That often works when an automatic update won’t.

Also, you can download the full install version from the support web site. Uninstall what you have, reinstall from that download. It will install the most current automatic update version.