What is the QuickBooks QBDataServiceUser and Do I Need It?

February 7, 2011 | By | 17 Replies More

Occasionally I’ll get a query from a security-conscious client who says that they have found a user account that mysteriously appears, called QBDataServiceUser (often with a number appended to the name). They want to know why it shows up and what they should do about it.

Starting with the 2006 release of QuickBooks (in the US edition, later in non US editions), Intuit changed the database system to use a SQL based system called SQL Anywhere, from Sybase.  This is an embedded database system that developers can use to manage their database, limiting direct access (for security reasons) to the program that uses it. The QBDataServiceUser is related to the management of the database.

Why Does This Account Exist?

With QuickBooks you can run the software in two “modes” – single user or multiple user. If you select multiple user then QuickBooks will create a new Windows user account and start a separate copy of the database manager as a Windows service.

Essentially, the QBDataServiceUser account is created to manage the separate database manager service and allow it to provide services to any user that logs in to this Windows system. You should only find it on a workstation or server that is hosting the database – and it is important that only one computer is acting as the host.

QBDataServiceUser

It is not unusual to have a user account set up in Windows by a software system, to be used to manage a database product or a service of some sort. Microsoft will do this, setting up an ASP.NET user account in certain situations. By creating this limited user account (more on that later) the service can be available to all Windows users without providing administrative access to your computer.

Looking at my system configuration, on a system that has just QuickBooks 2010 installed, you can see that there is a QuickBooks database “service” running. This is the multiuser database manager.

QuickBooks database user account

You may see multiple user accounts if you have been upgrading your copy of QuickBooks periodically. For example, the following is a screen shot from one of my test systems that has QuickBooks 2006, 2007 and 2008 installed:

Multiple QuickBooks database user accountsThe user with no number at the end is for QuickBooks 2006, the 17 is for 2007, and so forth. QuickBooks 2010 and Enterprise 10 use QBDataServiceUser20.

Can I Get Rid Of This Account?

Well, yes, you can, but normally you shouldn’t. If this computer is the “host” for your QuickBooks database you must have this user account and service running to provide multi user access to the QuickBooks company file. You can delete the account, but the next time you start multi user access on this computer QuickBooks will set the account up again.

You may also notice, as I’ve shown above, that you have multiple user accounts set up. Also, since this user account must have a folder in your Documents and Settings folder, you may see multiple QBDataServiceUser folders. Why?

If you have installed upgrades to QuickBooks over the years there could be a user account and folder for each upgrade you installed. If you uninstall an older copy of QuickBooks that you no longer need, QuickBooks should remove the unneeded user accounts. However, it most likely won’t delete the folder for the account in your Documents and Settings folder.  Microsoft Windows does not provide a simple way for the program to clean up these user folders.

You can safely delete these left over folders after you have uninstalled. Don’t uninstall the folders that are currently being used.

In some cases you may find additional folders, if you install, uninstall and reinstall the same edition multiple times. You may see folders like QBDataServiceUser.001  and QBDataServiceUser.002, for example. In this case you can delete the lowest numbered folders, leaving the highest numbered one in place.

Is This Account A Security Risk?

This is the usual question that people have when they notice these user accounts. The simplest answer is that this is a normal practice for services like this in Microsoft Windows, and there is no security risk having them there. They are set up as “limited user” accounts that generally have very limited permissions. They can’t be used by another individual or program to log in to your machine.

When rebooting Windows and logging in you won’t see this user account listed in the login screen normally. These are “hidden” accounts that you normally see. This is helpful. Also, it is important to note that this account does not have administrative privileges.

You can see them in your Windows Control panel. The accounts are set up with a password, and we aren’t provided with that password.

QBDataServiceUser Properties

QBDataServiceUser password

If for some reason you have a computer system administrator that doesn’t want this kind of user account set up on a company file server, the only real solution you have is to set up a separate file server just to manage QuickBooks data. That would keep it separate from your main company server – which often is a good idea in any case.

Tags: , ,

Category: Technical QuickBooks

1. Bill Cisne says:

We are running Quickbooks Pro Edition 2010. We have had QB since the late 1990’s and have upgraded about every two years. Similar to the above example I have users QBDataServiceUser, QBDataServiceUser18 and QBDataServiceUser20. The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Is it safe to delete users QBDataServiceUser and QBDataServiceUser18? This seems like good housekeeping to me if they are not needed by QB 2010.

Thanks.

2. Tim says:

Charlie, you are very quite helpful!!!

Thank you!

3. D Williams says:

I realize this is an older thread, but it is still very relevant. Thank you in advnace for any input. We have been running QuickBooks Enterprise for a long time starting with 2009, then 2010, and on up. We are currently on QBE2013 with 30 users. All users are always on the exact same version and the same dot release because I update everyone at the smae time. However, as discussed above I have not only gone in and deleted the old user accounts on the server where we share the files, but I’ve even gone into services.msc and totally disabled all the older ones, leaving only the newest one for the latest version of QuickBooks. But regardless, when the users come in and fire up QuickBooks, which is almost always in multiuser mode, all of the user account folders reappear, all the way back to 19. Baffles me totally since we’re only running QBEnterprise, 2013. Anyone know why? I don’t proactively uninstall an old version when I install a new one, but I QuickBooks usually asks “do you want to run both versions or replace the old version with the new one (summarized)”, so I thought it uninstalled the old one. Any advice? All the accounts show as running in Processes at all times, so I know they are using resources.

4. DataShark says:

I hope someone can answer this.

I am hosting a Quickbooks server for a customer who sells QuickBook services to other customers.
    Everything is working great, but there is an issue with security.

Since he does host in multiuser mode; the QBDataUser# has access to every Quickbooks data folder.
    Of course we do have security setup so that clients can not open other clients company files but we do not want them knowing which other companies are being hosted on the server.

this can cause issues on many levels.
    Is there anyway to restrict this?

5. ETHAN says:

i dont have the admin rights (standerd user only user on this computer) what is the password to QBDataServiceUser21

6. Brian Carson says:

I’ve run into a problem with an upgrade of QB Enterprise 2013->2014. I’m running on a 2012 Standard windows member server. All of the settings installed (as current settings) by default. The Workstations with QB-2014 all show no hosting when opening the companies (successfuly). We have an offsite CPA firm, who could open companies via VPN logging on with domain user credentials, that cannot open the companies anymore. They receive an H505 error.
    Everything is the same between the two installations, except for what brought me here to ask the question. The User QBDataServiceUser24 does not exist. 21-23 do. The Service QuickBooksDB24 is set with a ‘Log On As’ user name “.\QBDataServiceUser24″. The ’23’ Service has ‘User23′. The service is running.
    I’ve tried repair and reinstall. There just aren’t that many settings choices to go with. Since I cannot manual create the user (no password, of course) and I cannot point it to the previous user for the same reason, what could I safely set the user to logon as? Local account?

• Brian, I’ll admit, that is something outside of my range of experience. If you contact me directly I can get you in touch with a person who should be able to help you.

• Brian Carson says:

Thanks for the quick response Charlie. It’s appreciated. I was hoping you might have run into this, as odd as it sounds. I do have service contract with Intuit, I just wanted to avoid being tethered to a phone for extended time. I’ll try to post back here if I find a resolution to share with y’all.

• Brian Carson says:

So, I found the missing QBDataServiceUser24 account. Originally, my QB ES installation was on a 2003 Member server. From that server, the installation was apparently able to create Domain User accounts for the DBManager Service. This is no longer the case on a 2012 Member server. ES now creates local accounts for the service.
          That being resolved, I continued looking for the issue. The next issue I ran across is that the installation did not create the Firewall rules for the various ports. I can’t recall if this happened on the ’03 server, but adding them did not fix the issue.
          All avenues exhausted, I installed QB 2014 on my home system with duplicate access settings of the VPN User. I was successful. So, all this work to say it’s user error. I hope the 1st paragraph helps future searchers.

7. elsayed says:

please i need help i upgrade from quickbooks enterprise 12 to 15 and the arabic letter in chart of accounts and item list not read good but in the snap shot its ok ?????????

• I can’t help you, Elsayed. I don’t work with alternate character sets myself – I’ve heard on multiple occasions that more recent versions of QB Desktop don’t support them as well as before, but I can’t say much about that.

8. Lisa says:

Hi Charlie,

We have a company desktop that is acting as a host server. When we upgraded to QB 2015 yesterday it installed a QBDataService21 login on the desktop of one of the local systems (not the host). I called quickbooks support to remove it and they said get IT to do it. He was not sure how it got on the system. How do I remove this desktop login if I don’t see it under a user account or can I just turn if off? I do have some IT experience